Saturday, November 15, 2008

Almonds for hot flashes

Vitamin E has long been established for helping many menopausal problems especially hot flushes, night sweats, palpitations and vaginal dryness.
One natural way to get Vitamin E from your diet is by getting it from almonds.

Almonds are an excellent nutrient-dense food to incorporate into a healthful diet.
Even though almonds are fairly calorific - 180 calories per ounce, substituting almonds for other less nutrient-dense foods is simple.

For example, replacing three foods with three tablespoons of almonds can boost the vitamin E content of your diet significantly, enabling the average American who only gets about half of the RDA to meet their full daily recommendation (15-mg alpha-tocopherol).

2 comments:

Nebula said...

I also noticed the connection between almonds and hot flashes! I just recently had a hysterectomy and went into immediate surgical menopause but I noticed after the first week, the hot flashes bothered me much less--at the same time, my husband had bought a can of almonds that I was snacking on compulsively. By the 3rd week after surgery, I had very light and fewer hot flashes. Then I went on a trip and didn't eat any for 3 days--now they are much more intense and bothersome again, waking me from sleep, etc. Since this was the only change in my diet, I really think the almonds made a big difference! Thanks for your post...

nimsy said...

...and thanks for your comment..